October 7th is World Smile Day. World Smile Day is marked every year on the first Friday of October. Created by Harvey Ball, artist of the smiley face, it marks a time that we all should devote one day to smiles and kind acts throughout the world. Throughout the years, the smiley face that Harvey Ball created in 1963 has become one of the most well-known symbols in the world. With the commercialization of the smiley face, Harvey worried it’s true meaning of goodwill and cheer would be lost and created the holiday to regain control. World Smile Day has been celebrated annually in a variety of ways in Harvey’s home town of Worcester, MA and throughout the world with events that have included attempts to break the record for largest human smiley faces, delivering meals and smiley treats to those in need, smile events in hospitals, making videos, and so much more.
The motto of World Smile Day is “Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile” J Below are some suggestions on how to do just that!
- Do a random act of kindness for someone such as holding the door open or giving a gift just because.
- Tell someone a funny joke
- Compliment a stranger
- Send someone flowers for no reason
- Pay for another person’s food or coffee
- Reach out to an old friend
- Smile and say “hello” to those you pass by
- Tell your partner or best friend that you love them
If you’d like to learn more and become involved with the World Smile Day Foundation, please visit https://www.worldsmileday.com/index.php
By, Amanda Navarra, MHC intern